Are you a Business Owner?
Set up your Private Seller Account and create your listing todayGet Started Here
Rare & Beautiful Historic Landmark Lodge & Property is on the Market
One of New Zealand’s best historic tourism accommodation businesses, positioned on a landscaped 0.4406ha land title (approx.) and can include an adjoining residential home and property (optional and situated on a separate 0.3030ha land title), has been placed on the market for sale.
The property and business is situated in a prime location alongside State Highway One, between Dunedin and Oamaru, and is offered for sale as a freehold going concern.
This exciting business opportunity offers large land holdings and buildings, and includes the magnificent historical main building, The Mill House, along with another building containing 4 motel-style units, which is set separately in the landscaped gardens.
• Prime location on State Highway, alongside the Waianakarua River
• Historical building and lodge, plus additional motel style accommodation
• Charming character rooms all with ensuite
• Conference, function & events facilities
• Established manicured gardens & lawn areas
• Barbeque and outdoor dining areas
• Access to the historic Otepopo Bridge
• Moeraki Boulders are a short 10 minute drive
• Significant potential to develop the facilities and business further
• FHGC $850,000 +GST if any Adjoining residence $495,000 incl. GST
Built in 1879, The Mill House is a former historic flour mill set on the banks of the Waianakarua River. It is a significant North Otago landmark, located on SH1 between the delightful villages of Hampden and Herbert. In 1970 The Mill House was refurbished and converted into an accommodation, restaurant, and function centre.
The original Mill House building is three storeys, built of local “Bedding Hill” Oamaru stone and massive wooden beams. The stone was quarried locally and carted by bullock and wagon to the building site. The ground floor consists of a spacious reception area including men’s and women’s bathrooms, events for up to 99 people (approx.) in the dining room, full commercial kitchen, staff area with bathrooms and a large, walk-in cool room.
Historic lodge accomodation
• Reception area
• Function area (for up to approximately 99 people)
• Full commercial kitchen & large walk-in cool room
• Separate staff area
• 4 generous double rooms, each with queen-size beds and ensuite
• 1 family suite, with two generous adjoining rooms, with one queen bed and two single beds, with a • shared bathroom that can be reserved as a family suite
• Shared guest lounge facilities
• Consented for accommodation for 26 people in main building
Second Floor (Top Floor):
• 1 ensuite large bedroom
• 2 large bedrooms
• 1 large bathroom, which also has the tapware for a washing machine
• Open-plan kitchen, dining, living room areas
• Constructed in 1971, all four units are spacious and have ensuite bathrooms
• 2 large self-contained units featuring a queen-size bed, ensuite bathroom, one single bed, kitchenette, and dining area with one double sofa-bed
• 2 standard self-contained units, featuring a queen-size bed, one single bed
• Laundry room & plant room
• Potentially a new buyer could utilise these units further
The beautiful established gardens feature mature trees and floriferous plantings, and are situated alongside a peaceful, tranquil riverside setting. The 0.4406ha property (approx.) adjoins a river reserve, belonging to the Waitaki District Council, part of which is used by the Mill House. Guests are welcome to walk through the gardens to access the riverside and historic Otepopo Bridge.
Conference, events, & potential
The charm and character of the building, along with the history, accommodation and expansive lawn and garden areas, lend it to special events such as:
• Wedding celebrations & anniversaries
• Seasonal packages
• Specialised retreats
• Corporate training, conferences and presentations
• Restaurant dining experiences
The main building features a generous ground floor function venue, and is consented for up to 99 persons. Currently the configuration for dining events allows for up to 50 people. A full commercial kitchen is also on the ground floor. This part of the business has significant potential to be developed further, if the new buyer wishes to operate a hospitality business alongside the accommodation business.
Approximate travel times to:
• Moeraki & Moeraki Boulders 10 minutes
• Oamaru 20 minutes
• Dunedin 1 hour
• Timaru 1 hours 15 minutes
• Queenstown 3 hours 15 minutes
• Christchurch 3 hours 15 minutes
• Invercargill 3 hours 30 minutes
Private residence offered for sale at $495,000 (incl. GST)
• Comfortable three bedroom family home
• Brand new roof completed Dec. 2020
• Recently completed renovations
• New hot water cylinder & central heating
• 2 large double bedrooms, both with ensuite
• 1 large single bedroom
• Spacious living areas, featuring a brand new kitchen
• Plus, an additional sleepout with ensuite
• Multiple outbuildings/sheds
• Plus further established, manicured gardens
If you are looking for an iconic accommodation complex, on a main tourist route, with significant potential to develop further, then contact Adrian to arrange your viewing now. The Mill House is being offered for sale as a freehold going concern and early viewing of this North Otago historic icon is strongly encouraged.
Real Property Included
If you own a business and are considering selling, visit our Sell a Business section. Limited Trial available.Sell Your Business